strategies for change
Businesses and organizations that sell or provide single-use plastic items (including bars & restaurants, schools, event venues, hospitals, airlines, etc.) have to weigh various, sometimes competing, factors:
- What do customers want and expect?
- What is cost-effective?
- What helps them comply with legal requirements?
- How are their practices perceived by the market?
Effectively changing business practices to reduce plastic waste requires educating businesses that single-use plastic is a waste of money & resources, and negatively impact the communities where they are doing business.
Things You can Do
- Do a plastic audit for a school/business/community
- Write a letter to a business urging them to stop their use of plastic bottles (or other single-use plastic)
- Speak to a Major Decision Maker
- Organize a full community clean-up and send plastic trash to major decision-maker to illustrate the plastic problem