What is Ocean Heroes Bootcamp?
Ocean Heroes Bootcamp (OHBC) is a global gathering of youth activists committed to working for a healthy ocean. OHBC is an annual event of the broader Ocean Heroes Network, the mission of which is to empower existing and emerging youth leaders to create their own campaigns to take action against ocean plastic pollution. The campaigns created by Ocean Heroes support the achievement of UN SDG 14.1 by 2025.
When is OHvBC 2020?
The main OHvBC (Global) took place from Friday, June 26, 2020 to July 1, 2020. A regional Bootcamp focused on the Caribbean is being held in December 2020. A Bootcamp focused on Global South will take place in January 2021. A Bootcamp focused specifically on the surfing community will be hosted in March 2021.
Given COVID-19, where are Bootcamps taking place?
Until the global pandemic subsides and it is safe to be in-person, Ocean Heroes Bootcamps will take place virtually. Ocean Heroes who register (including having their guardian submit the Participant Waiver) will be granted access to a password protected, unpublished website where all activities and tools will be accessible.
Is there an age limit?
Yes, the official age range for youth participating in Ocean Heroes Bootcamp is 11-18, but if you are slightly younger or older, feel free to apply. The review committee treats exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
Is there a cost to register for Ocean Heroes Bootcamp?
Nope! Our top priority is to keep Ocean Heroes Bootcamp accessible to any person who wants to participate. All you need is access to the internet and an internet-enabled device to join the OHvBC.
What do I need to participate in a Virtual Bootcamp?
- An internet-enabled device computer or laptop would be best, but most content and tools are accessible on a smartphone. Checkout the list of tools we’ll be using, to make sure your phone can access their features
- Internet; again, please reference the set of tools we’ll be using below, to make sure your internet will support their features.
- Webcam (optional) to support Squad and mentor meet ups on Zoom.
- Writing utensils, paper, and art supplies for Bootcamp projects and activities
- An email address is needed to sign up for most profiles or accounts you’ll need to access
- We’ll also be using some online tools that you may be asked to download and/ or create an account for. These will likely include:
**Please note that many of the above websites have age restrictions and may require your parent to create an account for you, or parental permission to create an account. Many of these websites, such as Zoom and Google Drive, do not require you to create an account to access files or meetings. Please be sure to follow all age guidelines and restrictions set out by these individual websites.**
Ocean Heroes empowers existing and emerging youth leaders to create their own campaigns to take action against ocean plastic pollution. The campaigns created by Ocean Heroes support the achievement of UN SDG 14.1 by 2025 and strengthen the global Clean Seas campaign goal to turn the tide on plastic.
get in touch
GENERAL / email@example.com
MEDIA / firstname.lastname@example.org